Saturday, September 29, 2007

Podcasting

This turned out to be much more frustrating than I expected. I had no trouble pulling up the little Merlin lesson, but then when I tried to find something to listen to on podcast.net, I kept coming up with messages that they couldn't find anything even though I was putting in things like Terry Gross who I knew had podcasts. So then I moved on to Podcast Alley. I had much better success in finding podcasts on topics that I dreamt up, but I was having a hard time following the instructions on how to download them. So I moved on to Yahoo podcasts. Just like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears, this one was "just right." Of course it helped that I found some topics on their "most popular" listings that looked interesting, but the whole process of getting something going was just much easier. This all reminded me of my ill fated attempts to download audio books to my MP3 player a couple of years ago. Ugh. That and the difficulty I have with audio quality between my poor hearing and the speakers on my computer don't make this a very happy option for me.
I decided for the last exercise to take a look at Project Gutenberg, which I haven't seen since its very early days. Through random selection, I picked "Nat Love, better known in cattle country as Deadeye Dick." I had no trouble downloading it and the print looks like basic typescript. Then I realized that I was supposed to be working with downloadable audio books. I have downloaded audiobooks to my computer before although my attempts to go from there to an MP3 player have failed in the past and I gave the player to my daughter.

No comments: